Lentils have a mild, nutty, earthy flavor and will give any dish a boost of fiber and nutrients. Because of their hearty texture and protein content, lentils are sometimes used as an alternative for meat. Available dried or canned, lentils are highly versatile & make a great shelf-stable food.
- 3.5 cups crushed tomatoes (canned)
- 1 cup green lentils (canned)
- Substitute: dried green lentils–cook before adding to recipe
- 3.5 cups vegetable broth
- Substitute: chicken broth, beef broth, etc.
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp almond butter
- Substitute: peanut butter, sunflower seed butter, any nut butter
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Rinse and drain lentils.
- Add lentils, crushed tomatoes, and broth to a medium pot and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add the spices and maple syrup and cook over medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add almond butter. Stir until almond butter is completely mixed in.
- Serve and enjoy!