2cans (15 ounces) black beans
1 can (15 ounces) red beans
½ red onion
1 green or red bell pepper
4 garlic cloves
¼ cup vegetable oil
¾ teaspoon (tsp) ground cumin
¾ teaspoon (tsp) dried oregano
¾ teaspoon (tsp) salt
¼ teaspoon (tsp) black pepper
1 cup water
1 bay leaf
¼ cup cilantro leaves
Lime wedges, optional
1. Open the cans of beans into a colander and rinse well. Let the beans drain while you prepare the other ingredients.
2. Slice the tomatoes and cut into ¼-inch pieces. Cut the bell pepper in half and remove the seeds. Slice into thin strips and then cut into ¼-inch pieces.
3. Slice the onion and chop into ¼-inch pieces. Peel and mince the garlic doves.
4. Measure the oil into a pot. Add the chopped onion and cook over medium heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and bell pepper and continue to cook, stirring often, for several minutes more. Add the tomatoes and cook until softened.
5. Add the cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Stir in the beans, water, and bay leaf, stirring to combine. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
7. While the beans are cooking, wash the cilantro, remove the stems, and chop the leaves. Add to the beans just before serving.
8. To serve: Spoon the beans over the yellow rice and serve with a wedge of fresh lime. Serve pineapple-banana salad and green salad on the side.