On May 5, 2021 over 20 families from Northport, Suttons Bay and Leland “zoomed” into a cooking class with local Chef Fig, and his daughters Anna and Lucee. Families received free cooking kits and made Spring Potato and Cauliflower Skillet along with the class. We’ve included the video & the recipe below so you can cook with Chef Fig too!
CHEF FIG’S SPRING POTATO & CAULIFLOWER SKILLET (GENEROUSLY FEEDS 4)
1 # new potato/creamer potato (rinsed)
1 # cauliflower (broken into bite size shapes)
½ small red onion (sliced)
4 garlic cloves (diced)
¼ cup pickled peppers (chopped)
1 can great northern beans (rinsed)
3 oz feta cheese
2 cups arugula
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Salt, Pepper & Chili Flakes to taste and in layers
- Set the oven to 400 F
- While the oven preheats, cut potatoes and break cauliflower into bite sized pieces, slice onion, and dice garlic. Open and rinse the beans and squeeze half a lemon, making sure to remove seeds.
- Toss potatoes in oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast until fork tender, approximately 12-15 minutes.
- On a separate pan, roast the cauliflower dry (no oil) until edges begin to crisp and darken.
- Once cauliflower and potato are cooked: In a large skillet cover bottom of pan with oil on medium low heat, add onion and stir until fragrant and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, then add beans stirring occasionally for a few minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Remove from heat and add cauliflower & potatoes stirring together evenly. Gently fold in arugula, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Finish with chopped peppers, crumbled feta, lemon juice, & finishing EVOO.
I recommend a good loaf of bread to tear apart while enjoying this big flavorful bowl of veggies.